add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ethernet Cable Question

Arkstar0
  • 45 months ago

Hello, Recently one of my friends started getting very bad ping in games such as Rocket League. When i figured out that he was using wifi, i told him he needed an Ethernet connection and that that would solve the problem. He has a router extender underneath of his desk with an Ethernet port on it. So what i'm wondering is will an Ethernet connection to that extender be slower than an Ethernet connection to his router? Thanks for any help all responses are appreciated! :D

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

My guess is that it would be slower. Mainly because the extender is not directly connected to the source of the internet. Hopefully my info isn't bad, but if it is hopefully someone else will correct me.

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

But it was asked if being connected to the extender would be slower than being connected to the router. I think being hard-wired is generally always going to be faster than wifi but being connected to the router itself is the going to be the fastest of the 3 options.

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean technically the closer you get to the source, the faster your connection, as there are less hops in the process. But we are talking fractions of fractions here. So if you are asking if plugging into the primary router vs plugging into a router setup as an extra AP will be faster, I'm going to say "technically yes".

If there is an Ethernet port below his desk and he can plug into that, then (all things being equal) he will be better off than WiFi. Granted, if his WiFi connection is being serviced by a router directly below his desk, then he's likely not losing anything from such a short range transmission. I would be quite surprised if he got a noticeable improvement, unlessss all things are NOT equal. AKA, if he has a crappy wifi card that is like 802.11b, but a 10/100/1000 NIC, and his internet service is 100 down/100 up, then yeah he is gimping himself.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

i'm wondering is will an Ethernet connection to that extender be slower than an Ethernet connection

If I understand you, this won't be any different than a standard wi-fi connection. In fact, it could be worse depending on the processor speed of the extender and/or other factors.

For what it's worth, I actually do play games on wi-fi. It's great if configured with thought. I recommend using something like Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector / http://wvw.xirrus.com/wifi-inspector

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Rocket League servers suck now. Every game is so laggy now. But I would suggest just connecting straight from the router to the computer. That would make it much faster.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

The router extender is only picking up/sending at Wifi speeds. It will only help when he is too far away from the router. He can buy a pre-made Ethernet cable (I have seen up to 100ft) or make his own with CAT6, RJ-45 connectors, and a crimper. I did this once in an old rental house where the only plug was in the back room. We ran the cable over the door frames to the living room so the router was near all the gadgets.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube