add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which mitx motherboard?

rosswalker
  • 47 months ago

Which of these motherboards should I get? Also, what main benefit's am I gaining from going h170>b150 and is it even worth spending the extra?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/gigabyte-motherboard-gah170nwifi,msi-motherboard-b150igamingproac,msi-motherboard-h170iproac/

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I am assuming you are considering non Z series become you are getting a non K series CPU? Beyond the chipset itself keep in mind core functionality can differently such as the quality of the fan controls on the boards which do not have anything to do with the chipset. Generally higher end chipsets will incorporate more advanced user-oriented features that can benefit your build experience.

If you want another recommendation consider the https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/srDzK8/asus-motherboard-b150iprogamingwifiaura it is a great mini ITX choice if you do not want to go to a higher end Z170 series board.

Overall for most users especially on a mini ITX there are not a large number of differences. The core differences are note below

H is technically higher end ( closer to Z )

Supports more PCIe lanes ( 16 vs 8 ) 14 total USB 2 vs 12 8 total USB 3 vs 6 4 SATA vs 6 SATA ( b150 wins here ) RAID support vs NO RAID support on B150 Support for Intel native MAC ( NIC )

Many of these are most beneficial on larger boards. On a smaller board, it is of less value due to the limited PCB real estate for headers / connections.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I am assuming you are considering non Z series become you are getting a non K series CPU? Beyond the chipset itself keep in mind core functionality can differently such as the quality of the fan controls on the boards which do not have anything to do with the chipset. Generally higher end chipsets will incorporate more advanced user-oriented features that can benefit your build experience.

If I was to get ATX, I would be getting a Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON or Z170 SLI PLUS so it doesn't matter what I get honestly.

If you want another recommendation consider the https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/srDzK8/asus-motherboard-b150iprogamingwifiaura it is a great mini ITX choice if you do not want to go to a higher end Z170 series board.

I was going for a black and white/silver build, but this might actually work since its fairly subtle with the red on it.

Supports more PCIe lanes ( 16 vs 8 )

I probably would just be getting a sata based SSD and I will only have a RX 480 which I do not plan on crossfiring in the future so it doesn't matter how much I have, AFAIK.

14 total USB 2 vs 12 8 total USB 3 vs 6

I only need 2 for keyboard and 1 for headset so that is fine.

4 SATA vs 6 SATA

Again, I would only be using 2 (1x HDD, 1x SSD)

RAID support vs NO RAID support

I don't plan on using raid, don't see much benefit from it but I don't know enough about it to know that.

B150 Support for Intel native MAC ( NIC )

What is this? Something to do with Ethernet/speed I'm presuming.

This is the build for the most part, I would get an SP550 SSD for £20~ cheaper, I don't think I would notice the difference after the 2 years of usage, if I have it for that long. Yes I know it's 2400Mhz RAM, It just suits the theme better than any other ram and it will downclock without a problem, I hope.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor £157.99 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler £16.99
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory £60.00
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £71.29 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £37.96 @ BT Shop
Case Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case £55.66 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £74.02 @ Amazon UK
Other RX 480 8GB £180.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £653.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-24 22:57 BST+0100
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube