add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2.4 GHz vs 5 GHz

phantom1421
  • 45 months ago

So my speeds for the Internet are 75 down and 75 up, should I theoretically be able to get those speeds with no problem on either band and a PCI based wireless adapter?

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

It will be a better connection on 5ghz because it doesn't have as much traffic on it. Not sure if you mean that, 75 down and up is what you're supposed to get though.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Either will run the same speed for your application. If you have lots of devices in your house, you can split them between the 2 bands and better manage the bandwidth that way. In my house I have between 6 and 10 devices connected at any given time, and splitting them between the bands helps A LOT.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

see when i using my 2.4GHz with my Tp-Link Archer t9e it only get about 30 down and 30 up but with 5Gh it gets the usual 75 down and 75 up, why could that be, i mean the router is literally a floor below me in the kitchen with lots of windows and yet its different, any clue?

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Assuming your PCI wireless card (and router of course) supports 802.11n or ac, yes.

Of note, the 5 GHz band has a shorter reach than 2.4GHz, and is more susceptible to environmental interference. In other words, it's not as effective if you have one AP and it's far away from you in the house. 2.4GHz will be more consistent at distance (but is a more congested band).

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

It really depends on the router. While this is 100% true, I can still get my 5ghz band a block from my house. I have seen some 'budget' Wireless AC routers that market "5ghz speed" and whatnot but the range is only a few feet. This really depend son what router you have.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Sure, and in truth there are all sorts of tricks you can do to extend the range especially if you have an aftermarket router with many antennas, use beamforming, etc. I have been particularly lazy in my new place and haven't bothered with anything, because performance has been largely good.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

http://imgur.com/Rrwizlv

I live in the red oval and can sit at the pool in the red circle and still get my 5ghz band at 50% strength. I love my router.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

What router is it? (cannot see imgur at work but will check at home)

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Linksys WRT1200AC

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

see when i using my 2.4GHz with my Tp-Link Archer t9e it only get about 30 down and 30 up but with 5Gh it gets the usual 75 down and 75 up, why could that be, i mean the router is literally a floor below me in the kitchen with lots of windows and yet its different, any clue?

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

It shouldn't drop off that hard. Do you have multiple devices connected at home? Your 2.4GHz band may just be saturated.

Your 5GHz band, especially if it's largely untapped by other devices, could be automatically bonding channels which gives you a boost in throughput that 2.4GHz cannot really do.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually learned all about Wifi for my Network+ cert and promptly forgot 90% of it, but I recall this XD

My apartment is not very big, and my 5Ghz connection still (occasionally, not often) drops out on my PC.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

What router?

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Damn, sad that that expensive of a router has crap 5ghz range. My $150 Linksys goes for a block or more on 5ghz.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm assuming you have a fiber connection with the same down as you have up, if that's true and you have a strong WiFi signal you should be expecting download speeds of about 7MB/s to 9MB/s at max, but there are so many reasons why you may not get that quoted speed some being:

Quality of WiFi Signal Devices on WiFi Server hosting what you are trying to view/download Your PC System Quality of Wireless Adapter

And as others have stated, when you move to 5ghz you don't get interference from microwaves/Bluetooth but the that 5Ghz signal has harder times moving through concrete/walls etc. so its range is less.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube