add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GTX 780 or.....?

DoHbOyBlAzEd

73 months ago

So I was waiting on the R9 290 series to come out and now that they have I'm not sure whether to go with the 290 (non x) for $420 + tax or I can pick up a mildy used Evga gtx 780 sc with the acx cooler for $400....what do you guys think?

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Well the r9 290 is supposed to be louder than the x version so unless you want a leaf blower I would go with the 780.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

If I got either 290 I would wait for third party coolers

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Personally I'm going 780 but that's because of several reasons, not the least of which being I actually want/plan on buying all three of the games that come with it. Used you wouldn't even get that.

I would try to get a better price on the used 780 or get a new card, 290 is a good choice if you don't mind extreme noise (I don't know if 3rd party will be quieter or not).

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not huge on the games nvidia is giving away so its not a big deal to me. The 780 and 290 perform within a few percent of each other as it is, but the cooler is my turn off and I don't know if I want to wait any longer for third party cooling. The card I'm looking at would be $550 or so after tax and shipping with the free games or $400 for it used with no games. Hard decision to make when the prices are so close

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

$400 is a pretty good price if you know it's a good brand and works as good as it did out of the box. If you can't wait for non reference 290's to hit the market it isn't a bad call to go with the 780.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Evga super clocked with acx cooler, only 2 months old. Comes with all accessories and packaging. Guy is selling to buy an Xbox one..

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya that's a really good one, I don't know how long for manufacturers to start making 290s or how much they'll be. But if I was in your situation and knew that the 780 will perform as good as one out of the box, I'd scoop it up since the performance will be very comparable to a non reference 290 and be probably around $50 cheaper in your case.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm so torn here. The new card would be replacing 2 x GTX 660ti. Performance is about par....maybe I should just wait. I think the idea of upgrading alone is whats pushing me to get it lol

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey there, I think you should wait till the after market coolers for the R9 290 comes out. Tomshardware did a review on the 290 (or 290x) with an Arctic Cooling aftermarket cooler and they gained a quite good amount of fps and the noise was not that high and it stayed cool (around 65C) as well.

If you want to buy now, then it depends if you want a blower in your case or a GTX 780.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea I know, I seen that review. Was impressive. I've just waited so long for the release of these cards lol. Pisses me off that they didn't allow third party companies to design coolers for them BEFORE releasing them.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol yeah ikr. The main thing pissing everything off is the not so good blower on that card, just like it's pissing you and me off :P

I am expecting some good temps from the third party coolers.

Something else that is making me pull the hair of my head is Mantle. Just can't wait to see the performance it's supposed to give!

I hope it's not more than two months till the release of third party cards.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I read the 290x should have 3rd party cooler by late November so I'm guessing the 290 will follow suit. I think I'm just giving in and buying the gtx 780 tomorrow. At $400, it should be easy to sell for what I paid and buy the 290.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright. :)

Just don't push the GTX 780 too much if you are going to sell it again. :P Happy gaming and whatever else you do with the rig! :D

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

lol overclocking...? Whats that? If it doesn't beat my 660ti's when I get it, trust me, it will when I'm done.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube