add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help choosing speakers.

Nathaniel7477

42 months ago

Hello, I've had to separate speakers recommended to me and I don't know which one to pick. I don't really know much about audio so if anyone could point out the differences and offer reasons why one is better than another, I would be grateful. Also my budget for speakers is about $150, if you have another set to recommend.

The first set is the: Logitech Z623 200W http://pcpartpicker.com/product/svBv6h/logitech-speakers-980000402 This one is 2.1 while to the isn't, I don't know much audio, but I've heard 2.1 is preferable to 2.0, so I'm leaning towards this one. The second set is: Micca MB42X 150W 2ch Speakers http://pcpartpicker.com/product/fjp323/micca-speakers-mb42x

Again, thanks for the help.

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

As far as audio goes, I put my faith in Micca far before Logitech.

Another option is to simply make your own system out of bookshelf speakers, a sub, and a simple amplifier (to power the speakers)

http://www.cnet.com/news/build-your-own-desktop-stereo-for-under-70/

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the idea, I MIGHT actually try that.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

And I'm not sure how much you know about speakers/audio systems, but a 20w amplifier is probably going to be plenty strong for a computer speaker setup. Unless you seriously want to crank it, 20 will be fine. Just make sure any speakers you get are at least rated to the strength of the amplifier or you could blow em out easily at high volume

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I had actually been wondering about that. So basically what your saying is that I just need to match the watts of a speaker to that of an AMP? Thanks.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Ideally, speakers should be equal to or greater than the wattage of the amplifier. Matching wattage is fine, higher speaker on lower amp is fine.

If you pump too much power out of the amp into the speaker, chances are you'll kill it. So as long as the speaker is rated for at least the channel wattage of the amp, you should be fine, as a general rule of thumb.

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

out of those two, Micca for sure because they actually have depth and size lol

people also forget wattage ratings nowadays are bull 95 percent of the time

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for suggesting the Fluance, they look good, but I might just get the MB42X and a AMP.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube