add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinion wanted for 1440p 144hz build

Academically_Dishonest
  • 48 months ago

This build is mainly for gaming at 1440p, some light simulation and virtual machines. The GTX 980 is a place holder for the GTX 1070, which judging by the benchmarks will be able to do 1440p gaming easily. So what are your thoughts on this build? http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zyFnTH

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I would recommend getting an i5 6600K and getting a 1080 instead. a 1070 will be able to do 1440p but sense you have a 1440p 144hz monitor, a 1080 will be much better at taking full advantage of it

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I would like to get the 1080, but I'm so close to going over budget that even the $100 price drop between the i5 6600k and i7 6700k is not enough to compensate for the price difference between the 1080 and 1070. Plus I'm planning to not only use it for gaming, but also simulation and virtual machines.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

You could always get a cheaper SSD theres a sandisk 512GB SSD that you could get instead and that will save you a bit more money. It will give you slightly lower read/write speed benchmarks but you wouldnt be able to tell a huge difference

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/J4s8TW/sandisk-internal-hard-drive-sd8sb8u512g1122

you could always get a cheaper mid tower case too although there are plenty of other good ones so i wont put a particular one here

I think there are cheaper options for 16GB kits of RAM that will do but if they are lower speed, i believe your motherboard supports overclocking RAM

If you wait a few weeks on this build there will also be some 1080s in the $599 range

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your opinion! I went with the M.2 instead of a 2.5 inch SSD because I didn't want to deal with anymore cables than I need to. I chose the case because I wanted a quiet pc and that case has sound dampening material, and it also has a window. $2000 is the hard limit on my budget so the 1080 is out of my price range.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/B7gj4C

So i changed a lot about this but i think you should consider it. First off, theres a water cooler. It's in my rig 4 feet away from me right now and i cant hear it at all. Its still a mid tower, but i changed the case to a corsair 240. It has a window, and it has room for a water cooler. It doesn't have the noise suppression material but its pretty decent at keeping things quiet. The motherboard is mini itx but the case only supports up to micro atx so it wont look silly if thats a concern. It also has built in wifi so i got rid of the wifi card in your build. i stayed true to your m.2 idea and kept it even though that meant getting a slightly more expensive mini itx board for it.

This board is a very good overclocker. I've seen people push an i5-6600k from 3.5 ghz to 4.5 ghz. The water cooler is also exceptional and rather quiet so i can easily see you getting into the 4.3-4.6 ish range.

I fit a 1080 in your budget happy birthday!

EDIT: if you're uncomfortable with water in your build, that noctua fan in your list is perfectly acceptable. you may not get as high of clocks with it though.

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Better bang for your buck.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $338.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler $84.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $164.99 @ NCIX US
Memory G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $84.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $149.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card $489.95 @ Amazon
Case Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case $109.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $84.99 @ NCIX US
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $29.99 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor BenQ XL2430T 24.0" 144Hz Monitor $349.89 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1988.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-01 20:48 EDT-0400

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube