add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Calling all Asus Sabertooth owners

Billy-Bob_Kenobi
  • 45 months ago

I'm considering a Z170 Sabertooth Mark 1 for my next build, on the strength of the 5 year warranty and generally positive reviews. I'd love to hear from those of you with previous experience with Sabertooth boards and the Z170 in particular, either positive or negative. What do you like, what do you hate, what compatibility issues should I watch for, etc.

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I have one in my new build (just got it up and running today) with a 6700k. So far I have no negatives. I am currently using the m.2 slot and a pcie m.2 board (came with the mark 1, saweeeet) and both were recognized without me having to do anything. Bios is simplisitc even in advanced mode, and there are a TON of features I wasn't expecting. Bios update was smooth as butter, xmp was auto applied for ddr4-3200, and windows 8.1 installed from a usb 3.1 flash drive in about 15 minutes to one of the m.2 drives without issue. Windows 10 upgrade took a little bit of time, but only because of the download. Once d/led install took less than 10 minutes.

I haven't been able to try out any OCing yet, and probably won't for awhile as the system will be testing a ton of hardware over the next few weeks (then on vacation). Once I get back I'll be putting in the permanent gpu's, running the rest of my water cooling loop and then will get into some OC testing.

This is my second Sabertooth board (owned several z77 sabertooth boards) and I am quit happy with this one.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you using the onboard sound? I was thinking of retiring my Xonar DGX card if the onboard audio is up to the task of decent 5.1 performance.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I gotta be honest I haven't used onboard sound in years. I'm not a huge audiophile, so I either have basic headphones or I'm connected to a Bluetooth speaker. I used to do hdmi to a receiver from the video card and was getting amazing 7.1.

But the Realtek chip onboard is pretty damn good and capable of 7.1 ( actually I think I read it was able to do atmos through optical out).

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I just finished my first build a few weeks ago with the Sabertooth Z170 S, (a slightly cheaper model) with an i7 6700k. So far the motherboard has been great and I've had zero issues. Installation and setup was super smooth, although I did have to load a few drivers onto a USB thumb drive from my other PC in order to get the wired ethernet connection working. Once I did that I updated the other drivers no problem. I haven't overclocked yet, but I did manually lower the cpu vcore voltage just a bit because I felt the stock voltage was a bit high, and that was super easy. So I imagine OC is a trivial process with this BIOS.

For me, this board had the right features to make it worth the money. It has a type-C USB which is great for my Nexus 6P, and it has one USB 3.1 port which could be great for external storage. Also, the overall build quality and 5-year warranty was a huge plus for me personally. Both me and my Dad owned previous builds where the mobo died after the 3 years and we were both SOL. Probably just unlucky, I know, but at least I know with this board I'm covered.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

The warranty is a big reason I'm leaning towards it: I had two Seagate drives crap out on me in the span of a year, and I'm trying to stick with parts that will last as much as possible.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the Asus Sabertooth Z77 and never had any issues with it. Its a pretty solid board

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you believe that board sells, used, for over $165...

That right there should tell anyone how good that board still is. I miss my z77 Sabertooth, hands down the best board I have ever owned. I like the z170 Mark 1 a lot, but the z77 motherboard holds a ton of great memories for me.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube