add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New rig - Intel or AMD?

Merisal

40 months ago

I'd like to upgrade my i3 rig to be more compatible to newer games. I don't want to play games like The Devision but even games like Wither 3 or some MMO has higher requirements than my i3 4160 ;)

I am using Intel for about 10 years now and I don't have much knowledge on AMD, so I would like to know your opinion about these two setups:

Intel: i5 4460, MSI Z97i Gaming AC, 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, MSI Geforce GTX960 2G

AMD: FX-8350, MSI 970A Krait Edition, 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, MSI Geforce GTX960 2G

Memory and graphic card are already in use with my i3.

The price for both CPU is nearly the same but is the much higher amount of energy costs worth it? Is there much more performance with the 8350?

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Energy cost isn't nearly the type of difference you think it is.

If you're just gaming, go with the i5. It's much stronger considering the i3 already outperforms the 8350.

If you're doing editing/rendering, the 8350 might be a better choice.

Also, for the record, Witcher 3 can run on high settings on an i3/960, my roommate is doing that just fine

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice to know, thanks :)

Gaming will be the primary way of usage. I do rendering as well but not that much.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube