add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wired vs Wireless

nstran541

44 months ago

Hello,

I am building a gaming PC and am trying to figure out networking. I currently have a wifi connection where I am setting up my PC, but I have heard that a wired connection is better for gaming. The only way that I could get a wired connection is through Powerline adapters. Are the adapters a good solution or should I stick with wireless?

Comments

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

...Powerline adapters. Are the adapters a good solution...

Short answer: Generally, yes.
Reading material: Powerline

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Wireless truly is not a bad solution, it is only a bad solution for mission-critical infrastructure. If you are just gaming then wireless is perfectly fine.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Not really. You usually want wireless to be a last resort, as most other options are faster.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Its on over-exaggeration like you get across the board on this site sometimes. Wireless is fine around 80% of the time, obviously once you start getting a bad signal things deteriorate quick. Where my desk is in my house I have a wired and wireless computer right next to each other , I can run speed tests and my wired connection is only slightly faster and only some of the time.

It also depends on the wireless router, usually the crap supplied by the ISP which most users use is junk and the signal quality is crap. Get a quality strong wireless router and you will see great numbers.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Well there is my PC hooked on to ether net which gives me 47 ping is csgo where as my brothers PC which is using wifi a long way away from router still get 55 ping. So it depends how much you want that extra -8 ping.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Powerline may not be optimal depending on the house wiring and noise. I say try it out first. If you resort to wireless, pick up a dual band router with 5G and you will be amazed. I get 30-50Mbps on my phone from using 5G on 75Mbps internet.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

*Cough cough

My psu

Cough cough

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube