add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Headphone and mic

Tel

42 months ago

I currently have a Corsair H2100 headset and am having a couple of problems with it, the microphone is emitting an electrical noise and the on/off button needs pressing several times before it works. It is still under warranty, but I don’t like unreliable kit so going to get it repaired and then sell it.

What I want to get is separate headphones and microphone. The headphones will be general use, music, movies and gaming. The microphone just for gaming. I’ve read many reviews and my current thinking is a pair of Sennheiser HD 558 headphones with an Antlion ModMic.

My budget is around £150, I could go higher but want value for money.

This gives me a few question;

1. Are they good choices? Better options available maybe?

2. From reviews I’ve read the HD558 and 598 are hard to separate, not worth the extra money for the 598, would people agree?

3. Does the Antlion ModMic attach to the 558’s ok?

4. My motherboard is an Asus Z170-pro with Realtek ALC1150 chipset, would a soundcard/amp/dac make any improvement or fine just attaching them to the motherboard?

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

I’ve read the HD558 and 598 are hard to separate, not worth the extra money for the 598, would people agree? 3. Does the Antlion ModMic attach to the 558’s ok?

yes to both but I would suggest getting a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and a vmoda boompro, cable management will be easier.

1. My motherboard is an Asus Z170-pro with Realtek ALC1150 chipset, would a soundcard/amp/dac make any improvement or fine just attaching them to the motherboard?

Plugging them into the motherboard would be fine

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Modmic (unidirectional version) is better at noise removal. I have a Cherry MX blue keyboard and the mic doesn't pick it up at all. The omnidirectional version sounds better imo than the boompro with most sound cards. And most Realtek audio cards in mobos are garbage, so definitely shell out $8 for a 3.5/USB converter card. They work basically as well as a cheap sound card and drastically improve the noise floor.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

External DAC likely isn't needed. Onboard audio dio has come a long way.

• Tel
  • submitter
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the feedback!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube