add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Sound card for newbie gamer

mitras

43 months ago

Hi guys, can you please advice what is a best choice: good motherboard with audio, internal sound card or external or something else and please advice headphones no matter if they got microphone or not or cordless or not or anything else, even they are pink but sounds great it is okay.

For what it will be used? For gaming(I prefer single players games) and listening music.

Please advise in 3 categories. 1. 0-200$ 2. 201-500$ 3. 500-1000$

And please advise what category will suite me best and why? Yeah, I can hit the bank, but I prefer to be rational.

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 7 points

Onboard audio is definitely good enough for gaming, so no sound card. As for headphones, Sennheiser HD 598's and a ModMic 4.0 if you need a mic are a great option.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Couldn't agree more

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

If you wanted to keep it cheap, the Superlux HD 681 Evo's have sound they shouldn't be able to make, considering their 40 bucks and since they have a detachable cables, you may as well buy a Vmoda Boom Pro (you can use its cable for both the headphones and the mic, so basically it's less messy). Puts you at around 80-90 bucks. If you use the ModMic 4.0 (which I have used and it is great, Boom Pro has same audio quality though), you're still at 80-90 bucks.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I also hate that accursed "gamer-flashiness". Especially the ones you see on stuff like the New Logitech headsets or even worse, the really cheap knock off brands that make "gaming headsets". I know that Superlux is technically a knockoff brand, but it uses it's own drivers that like I said, create amazing sound, and they aren't actually marketed as a gaming headset. It can't be marketed as a headset anyways because it doesn't have the mic, but I think you know what I mean.

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 2 points

668b is more bass focused though, and if you want it for gaming like in CS:GO more bass means a harder time to pick up on audio cues.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. Nice choice

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

If he's gaming, and depending on the music he listens to, ATH-M50x's might be a better choice.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

The m50x's are a bass amplified m40x so the m40x would be better suited for gaming

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 2 points

What music so you listen to and what currency is your budget in?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends. It can be rock, classical or heavy metal. As I mention in post up to 1000 US dollars.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Start off cheap and see if you can justify spending dough on audio gear. Spending upwards of $300 I would really try before you buy. See if there are any hifi stores in your area, try finding a head-fi or super best audio friends meetup (they are audiophile forums). My local Best Buy has a Magnolia section with a few notable cans like the Sennheiser HD 650. Ask for a demo.

After around $300-$500 marginal returns start to kick in however in the world of audiophilia people are willing to empty their wallets for the slightest gain.

The Koss KSC-75 is a great starting point for only around $15. Now granted for their low price the build quality is not the greatest nor are they the most detailed of cans, but their sound more than makes up for its flaws. They have an excellent tonal balance and natural sound which you won't find until you get to headphones costing much more. Really easy to enjoy music on these and gaming actually works quite well. They clip on your ears so they are quite comfortable and portable. Also, no headphone hair. I personally own a pair and take them everywhere with me. Rock, classical, and metal sounds great, they are fairly versatile.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

MB + amplifier + headphones. hm, is it really good?

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

I use a Topping NX3 Amp with Takstar Hi 2050s and it was a massive improvement adding the Amp even if it was a budget one, you budget is quite high so I chose some better gear, of course for your sub $200 budget you could use the same setup as me with the ModMic as well (I use a CAD U37)

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Great. thank you.

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 2 points

Yep, no sound card needed.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube