add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Motorola SBG6580

ThisIsEduardo

44 months ago

Whats the max speed on this modem? I have it and I'm getting about 100mbs, TWC says I need to upgrade my modem if I want to get 200/300mbps. But from what the modem specs it looks like this modem supports up to 343mbps. Am I missing something?

Comments

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

It could be a fluke in TWC's system. I work for Comcast, and every customer I come across who has a SB6121, SB6141, 6183 etc has it flagged as an end of life modem.. Which just isn't true. Most off the shelf DOCSIS 3.0 modems can handle up to 300 Mbps. Only real way to find out is to upgrade your speed package, hardwire to your gateway, and do a speed test. Just make sure you're using an approved TWC speed test site, as most cable companies won't stand by any 3rd party speed test sites.

EDIT: Could also be that your gateway only supports 8 downstream channels. Depending on TWC infrastructure, that could be the reason why they told you to upgrade. The SB6183 for instance can bond to 16 downstream carriers. But it also depends on whether or not TWC has upgraded their system to support 16 downstream carriers where you live. I know we just completed that where I live only about a year ago. If you want a clear answer on that I would honestly try to find a tech in your area and ask them, as that's not a simple answer to get from customer service.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks, I actually bought a netgear c6250 which was on their approved 200/300mb list and my speeds automatically more than doubled to 235/23mpbs. So i'm very happy.

I guess they were right that my old modem wasn't capable, but its confusing because online it said it was up to 343mbps. oh well. it was worth the money spent.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Those are usually theoretical speeds. Meaning that in laboratory testing, in has achieved those speeds. Real world applications usually have a lot more variables involved that may prevent your modems full potential from being reached. From what I've researched, most cable companies offer around 16 Mbps download speed on each downstream carrier. So if you have an 8 downstream carrier modem, your max will be around 128 Mbps. By offering 16 downstream carriers. That now doubles to 256 Mbps.

Glad you got it all worked out though!

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube