add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is there much difference between a wired connection opposed to PCI-E wireless adapter ?

Ni9th

45 months ago

My router is in my living room, and I'm wondering if I can get away without running a wire across the floor without losing that precious speed and connection while gaming. Heres my internet specs at the furthest point in the basement:

First Channel: Ping: 15 Download: 11.70 Upload: 9.92

Second channel: Ping: 15 Download: 34.24 Upload: 9.88

Im wondering at these speeds if I'll notice a big difference in speed/connectivity when I'm gaming? If theres minimal loss, what wireless adapter would you recommend? Heres my build if it helps: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/qtZ8TW

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

I've used wireless and wired, and absolutely swear by wired. Way less lag in multiplayer games and also much faster download times for games.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed. Go wired unless you absolutely cannot.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

So there are a lot of variables involved in wireless connectivity. Essentially though, if you're going up or down stairs, that's bad. If you've got lots of walls between you and the AP, that's bad. If you're on the other side of the house from the AP, that's bad.

You mentioned this:

Heres my internet specs at the furthest point in the basement:

So you're already using wireless on something? And it's in the basement? Your download and upload don't seem bad, especially the second channel, but it's hard to tell without a reference point. I'm assuming your upload rate is capped at around 10mbps since it struck close to that twice in a row. Why don't you plug directly in with an Ethernet cable and run the test, see how the results compare? If you can get a consistent 30Mbps download rate you can probably make it work if you have to.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Ethernet is full duplex while wireless is half duplex. You are ALWAYS going to get better speeds with lower latency using a wire. Just drill an inconspicuous hole somewhere and run it. It really is just miles and more better.

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm going to play devils advocate and say it depends. For example I've lived in an older house with old wiring, and powerline was not bad. It got the job done. But it was way worse than the wireless access I'm getting at home right now.

Considering OP mentioned "basement" though I'm concerned for the quality of their wireless signal.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

That's really cool I had no Idea one could do that

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 45 months ago
  • 2 points

My GF's parents use one in their house to get Ethernet upstairs. Works well. It is VERY dependent on how your house is wired though.

[comment deleted]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

So is it like the opposite of PPPoE?

[comment deleted]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm seems interesting but incredibly situational. thanks for the read!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube