add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Sennheiser HD 558 for $98?

BodaciousBuddha

43 months ago

Is it worth the $100?

And while we're here, have you ever bought used headphones? Would you recommend it?

( Sure, I imagine the blood, sweat, and tears of the previous owner getting all over them, but I'm not afraid of cleaning 'em up.)

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

It is a good headphone for its price. Whether or not it is worth it to you may be a different story, no way to really tell until you have tried them. What kind of music do you listen to?

I have bought used headphones before. Give them a wipe down with a cleaning solution and replace the pads, good as new. Could also hand wash the earpads instead of buying new ones depending on their condition.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Music: pretty much everything. From Charles Mingus (big band) to BT (electronic).

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

Ok I think they'll be a good choice. They are good all rounders with a smooth/relaxed sound, just lack hard hitting bass. Very comfortable to wear and reasonably well built.

They do leak sound though and do not block noise well (typical of open back headphones), best used at home or in a quiet environment where you won't disturb others.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Eh, the 598 have been on sale for 100 several times recently. That is a much better deal.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool, good to know

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

!!!

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Are HD 280 Pros on a similar sound quality level as HD 558s?

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

How so?

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 2 points

But what is the difference it makes?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube