add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cloning an old drive to a new one

OccamAsylum

45 months ago

I'm building my aunt and her family a new office computer because they're using an ancient, prebuilt dinosaur from 2005 that isn't even connected to the internet. It has an old 80GB hard drive that I'd like to clone onto an SSD because I would rather not repurchase the OS and MS Office.

I've never cloned a drive before and would like any tips you can give on the process! Most importantly, can I clone the OS onto a new drive? I doubt she has the key since this PC was store bought in 10,000 B.C. I wonder if she ever upgraded from Windows XP...

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

...PC was store bought...

Find out the details first.
If the OS is the original,
The Windows operating system is likely OEM, if so, legally, it is not transferable.
Microsoft:

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—...

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube