add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Bookshelf speakers

vitexo
  • 48 months ago

I'm looking for budget powered bookshelf speakers under 200. It must have a good bass and mids

I like Audioengine A5+ but they are out of my budget

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

Build your own. You can build a set of $1000 speakers for around $200 if you have any kind of soldering ability and the ability nail wood together.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I was looking at the overnight sensations kit last night. I think it would be a really fun project. Just not sure if they would offer any kind of improvement over my Logitech Z4 2.1.

Great suggestion.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

They are in a whole different league. Any decent bookshelf speaker would be a large improvement from some Logitechs. I have heard the sensations are one of the best you can buy under $200.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em3Lyt_8_do

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

The only thing is I think I'd miss the bass from the sub in my current setup. It sounds awesome at 100+ grazing a rumble strip in iracing.

I guess I could always build a small sub to complement the desktop speakers. Anyhow, what amp would you recommend for the sensations?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

SMSL-SA 50 should power them well

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

you have me interested now. also those are some massive coils. but RazerZ is right, any bookshelf speakers would do better, and this is looking like a good little kit

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd look into a pair of Presonus Eris 4.5

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

they look pretty good. are they studio monitors or just speakers? I'm not doing any music related work, I just want good sound for everyday music listening :) btw do you own a pair?

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

They are studio monitors. Still a good choice if you want clean and accurate high fidelity sound. I do not own a pair but they are highly rated.

Would you be open to using a pair of bookshelf speakers with an amp? For under $200 you could get a pair of Fluance SX6 and a SMSL SA36 to drive them.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

i had MICA speakers with lepai amp and they were teriible. Buzzing noise was constant even while idle. So i'm not sure If I want to go that road again:)

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I will go for Presonus. they seem to be decent quality. I hope bass is deep enoght for 4.5 in. Thank you for your help!

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem. Bass seems to go quite low with these so I wouldn't be worried.

The buzzing issue could have been from different problems within your setup, with some troubleshooting you might have been able to get that sorted. I wouldn't rule out passive speakers just because of one bad experience.

I agree with tiny voices though. Building your own will get you a lot for your money.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the A2+ style (whatever they had 5+ years ago) - they are awesome speakers.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube