add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Budget AMD Gaming PC Upgrade from Macbook

OccamAsylum
  • 48 months ago

I'm mainly building this for fun to test what it's capable of. I'm probably going to end up swapping out the CPU for an 860K, as this APU is not an upgrade at all for the 3210M (see below).

I offered to sell this to a friend of mine who can barely play League of Legends on his MacBook Pro from 2012 (i5 3210M & Intel HD 4000 GPU).

At the end of the day it's something I get a lot of enjoyment out of and I can help a friend out at the same time. Plus, this is going to be my first AMD build!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD A6-5400K 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor Purchased For $34.99
CPU Cooler Cooler Master GeminII M4 58.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler Purchased For $0.00
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Purchased For $32.99
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $38.99
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card Purchased For $99.99
Case Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $29.99
Power Supply EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply Purchased For $34.72
Optical Drive Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive Purchased For $13.99
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) Purchased For $79.99
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter Purchased For $13.99
Fan Controller NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller Purchased For $29.99
Other Biostar Hi-Fi A70U3P FM2+/FM2 A70M Purchased For $39.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $449.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-03 22:41 EST-0500

The motherboard I went with just came out apparently, so it hasn't been added to PCPP as of yet. It has some amazing upgrading capabilities for the price point!

Update: I noticed that motherboard I bought on Monday is on sale today for $20 less than I purchased it for. I contacted Newegg and will be getting a credit for the price difference. Score!

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

The lower end APUs are, meh. I have one in my second build and its just so unstable with the FPS and the temps are all over the place.

Other then that, build looks pretty good.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I noticed that. I'll probably go with the 860k later and save this APU for an even SMALLER budget build haha.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Get the new 880k, when it hits store shelves.

Better clock speed then the 860k

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Eh dunno if I could wait a month.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't bother. It's not any better. Both still lag behind in gaming vs 6 year old phenom 2 x4 chips.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Meh, either way they're both outdated.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah but for the money you can have a better upgrade path and better upfront performance.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

With the Mobo not being on site, you can submit for it to be added here.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for that!

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem :)

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi dude.. as expected the CPU is about 10% lesser than recommended requirements for League of Legends.. So yeah it would be a very good idea to get the GREAT VALUE X4 860K..

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I'm not clicking on those links, but I agree with what you said and will end up doing that if my friend wants to buy the computer.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

yep dude,, take care..

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't bother with the 860k. I would snag a gigabyte am3+ board and buy a used phenom 2 x4 cpu for under $50. The phenom beats the 860k in every game because it had an L3 cache and the 860k does not. Plus you can later upgrade the phenom to an 8xxx cpu on the same socket. The 860k makes no sense.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, no. I appreciate the input, but as you can see these parts are already purchased with a specific budget in mind. Plus, at least 5 of these parts were on sale.

For a future build I will look into it.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand But all I was saying is that for the same money you can get better game performance vs buying an 860k.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I get that and I appreciate it. This is purely for fun and potentially an upgrade for a friend. Buying another mobo and cpu doesn't make sense unless i'm building a completely separate build.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube