add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Logitech Z506 Buzz

--michael--

47 months ago

I was recently given a set of these speakers but have run into a rather annoying problem. While plugged into the motherboard it creates a buzzing, but while plugged into my phone the noise disappears. any idea how to stop this?

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Might just be an issue with your motherboard. Though it would help to know what phone and motherboard you're using, as well has how loud the buzzing is. Sometimes, motherboards (especially lower quality ones) have barely decent integrated sound cards. That and since the motherboard has a lot of other currents and signals going through it, it can create that little background hissing. Meanwhile, a lot of phones (Apple ones in particular, surprisingly) have very good integrated sound cards, leading to them often having very little or even no discernible hissing/bussing.

For a way to fix it, well... there really isn't one other than to upgrade your audio source. Getting any half-decent external DAC (digital-to-analog converter; basically an external sound card) should do the job nicely.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

the phone is the galaxy s5 while the motherboard is an Asus Maximus VII Hero. im not very familiar with sound equipment, is their any brands to steer clear or things to look for? And the buzz is a kinda high pitched noise that is probably better described as a whining noise.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Hm... I dunno then. Asus motherboards are generally known for better than average on-board audio. especially their RoG ones. As for brands to steer clear of though, Beats (I hope I don't have to explain this one) and generally, all 'Gaming' labeled gear, especially from brands like Turtle Beach. As for good brands, Schiit, despite the name, makes really good DACs and amps at nearly every price range you can think of. Good audio brands (as far as headphones go at least) are Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic, Shure, and AKG. I'm not sure about their speaker offerings, but if they're near as good as the headphones they make, then they'll be just fine. Also, Audioengine makes pretty good speakers from what I hear.

Do other audio devices have the same buzzing when plugged in to your motherboard?

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I went through and tested what was close at hand. A cheaper portable speaker and a decent pair of earphones, both of which suffered the same whining. So it does seem to be the motherboard causing it, and now i weep for all the lost hours trying to "fix" the speakers.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright. Do you have any kind of budget for something like a DAC?

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

unfortunately i cant afford any new tech at the moment as im in between jobs. Was really hoping it could have been solved without getting parts.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube