add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help a newbie audiophile

CoopBro

47 months ago

So after seeing Hardware Canuk's Gaming vs Real headphones videos I started to do some research into a headset that has some nice sound to it, but still a nice price

I have looked at Sennheiser lately, but idk what other companies there are that have good audio and still has a mic (or an option to attach one) and a not bass heavy sound signature.

I noticed some have a really high impedance and th at a sound card or an amphelps a lot with the quality, but I have the Gigabyte Gaming 7 and I am wondering if I might get away with not needing to get one

Also I am not sure about the yellow ports I heard the term (DAC) used with it, but I have no clue what that means.

Any recommendations on companies/ headphones I could look into and what some extra lingo that I don't know means

Thanks!

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Your onboard should be fine for headphones with low impedance and/or high sensitivity.

Careful because motherboard manufacturers tend to add a lot of marketing nonsense that usually have no impact on real world performance. USB "dac up" lol...

Lots of great choices, just know that not all headphones from the same company will share the same sound signature.

To get started, do you have a budget in mind? What is your favorite music to listen to?

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I was thinking maybe 100-200, but that will be to replace the current headphones I have when they break, I do not intend on buying now

I am also a teen so money is limited, so I just want to know what are good sounding options

Heh... funny you ask that... I personally don't listen to much music, so I don't like one too much over the other I grew up with folk (Brandi Carlyle, Indigo Girls, Sugar Land my mom loved then, so that's what I listened to and grew a taste for) I don't like super heavy bass or country they just don't feel right to me :/ I am mostly using these for gaming

Also throwing out there that comfort should be a thing, I could have these on for many hours straight

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, easy recommendation. Sennheiser HD 558. They have a mellow sound with great mids (vocals), smooth treble/high notes, and bass that should work well for you, just enough impact and not boomy at all. Soundstage (perceiving depth in audio) is good and they are very comfortable to wear which makes them great for gaming. They usually go for $80-$100 new.

They are open back headphones and sound will escape through the earcups. Others close to you will be able to hear what you are listening to if there is low ambient noise.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool thanks for the recommendation!

The reason I was looking an Sennheiser was the 'warmer' signature

What about a mic? I chat with my friends over Skype a lot and wonder if there's an option for putting one one

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

How much can you spend for the mic?

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I might be able to spend the whole 50, but a cheaper option that sounds about as good as my HS40's mic would be neat

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Good brands are Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Audio-Technica, and Shure. I have a pair of Sennheiser On-Ear Momentums (have had those for just over a year, love them) and my Beyerdynamic DT 990s came in last week (best headphones I've ever listened to). Audio-Technica is pretty popular for gaming, especially their AD700X.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the Audio Technica M50x and Sennheiser HD 598 SE's with a Fiio E10k DAC/amp. Great combo for the price and i would highly recommend that setup for anyone looking at getting into the audiophile world.

[comment deleted]
  • 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot ;)

[comment deleted]
  • 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I looked more into the mod mic and ooooh man that is neat! That means I can them without looking ridiculous, only a little knob

[comment deleted]
  • 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah when I watched some reviews they sounded pretty high quality, with the only complaint being the lack of cable management

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube