add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do I need both a Modem and Router?

CAJohnson

46 months ago

Hey guys, Noob question here. Setting up a new network in an apartment and I was wondering if you need both a modem and a router for the fastest internet speeds?

Thats my main goal, is just to maximize my internet speeds for gaming/watching streams online.

I'll have internet capable of 150 mbps/sec thanks to Comcast.. What modem/router combination would you recommend to maximize the speed of my connection?

Or is a router not necessary to maximize internet speed?

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, a modem just connects to your isp so that you can connect to the internet. Something that is just a modem will likely only have a port for the phoneline and an ethernet port. If you only have one computer/device to connect this is fine, if you have multiple devices to connect or want wifi you need a router to plug into the modem. A lot of the time the modem your isp gives you will have a cheap wifi router in it already.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. If I were to buy a modem/router combo, would I need any extra cables?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

usually no, it should come with one Ethernet cord and a phone cord at least

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

okay i actually have a router-modem combo, both are Netgear products.

it goes wall plug-modem-router-pc/console/phones/etc...

i see massive GAINS in speeds using this setup compared to simply the modem. dunno why it is but it happens

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Most routers are hardware firewalls. So another layer of protection from the internet.

I see no lost in internet speed with my router.

For your modem, didn't Comcast supply you with one? If, not please check with them first. Comcast is now pushing DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem.

In August 2015, Comcast revealed plans to use the DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem standard that makes 1-gigabit speeds possible over existing cable networks. But to take advantage of those upgraded speeds you need a new DOCSIS 3.1-compatible modem.Jan 13, 2016

Check your area, don't get stuck with modem 3.0 if you really want to enjoy speeds greater than what you currently have.

modem/router combo

I would not buy a combo, but 1-modem, and 2-router. You will get stuck with outdated equiptment down the road

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Some companies install there own modems that they require you to use.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

If you only have one device from comcast, but you also have wireless then to get the same setup you will need a Modem/Router combo (1 unit). OR A modem and a router. Now if all you want is wired internet, then all you need is a modem and a LAN Hub or switch. (but there will be no wireless if you need it with this setup).

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube