add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Advice on mobo, need wifi with cpu either 6600k or 5820k

Rhaiven
  • 52 months ago

First off I'm brand new to the site and to pc building so thank you to anyone that decides to give their input. Going thru several different sites to review dozens of motherboards (with every single one having mixed reviews) has left me with more questions than answers. Basically I'd like a mobo with wifi capabilities and audio built in just to simplify things. Wired internet isn't really an option for me at this point. I'm looking at either the 5820k or the less expensive 6600k and from what I can tell the extra cores in the 5820k would give only minor noticible improvement over the 6600k. Opinions on that would also be appreciated. I'm going to be getting a GTX 980 ti if that helps any. Here are the mobos I've been seriously considering:

Asus Z170-deluxe MSI x99a gaming 9 ack eatx

both have come with extremely mixed reviews and make it sound like doa boards are fairly common. Any info or advice would be extremely appreciated!

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

In regards to the 6600k and 5820k it depends on what the use will be. The reason is they are really two different classes of CPU's and this can be easily seen in the 6600k, having four cores, while the 5820k has 6 cores with hyper threading so essentially 12 threads, so basically in tasks where the extra threads can be utilised such as rendering and what not, the 5820k would simply put crush the 6600k and we are talking a big delta here.

Of course that's only if you can use the extra cores / threads and the reason most people will say there is a minor improvement is because they are talking about gaming or tasks which do not really utilise those extra cores. Infact unless you overclock the 5820k the 6600k for most games will perform slightly better.

So if you are simply going to be mainly gaming, the 6600k is a good choice or 6700k I guess if you plan to do a lot of gaming but some multitasking stuff here and there. If you plan to do gaming in addition to working on multi-threaded tasks such as Video Editing, Rendering etc then the 5820k will come in to its own.

For motherboards you will often see horror stories reported as you can imagine with positive or working motherboards rarely reported. Normally its the people with issues who will complain the most :) With that said both boards would be fine for thier respective platforms. But you do not need to go to such high end boards for just the wi-fi. You can grab pretty much any other board without the feature and put on a wireless adaptor in the form of a USB or PCI-E based one. Usually this route will work out cheaper as the boards with Wi-Fi tend to be the highest price ones in general being the flagship models that bring other features to the table also. Link to wireless adaptors: https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/wireless-network-card/

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome thanks for the insight! So sounds like 6600k is the way for me to go here, if not the msi gaming 9, any opinion which mobo would be a better option? I'll probably just follow your advice and add a wifi adapter. I don't think I specified but yea this will be mainly for gaming.

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

For the 6600k a Z170 board would be needed. Most of the following are popular and pretty good options so am sure you will not go wrong with any of them, here is the full list: https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#xcx=0&c=110&sort=d8&page=1

Here are some examples that get solid reviews:

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube