add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Suggestions to fix/improve fan hookups to my ASUS Z170-Pro?

noncarbon
  • 52 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9rTpyc

So I have a Asus Z170-Pro motherboard with a 6700K chip, Corsair H115i CPU water cooler, and a Phanteks Luxe Enthoo case.

Both the Luxe's PWM hub for chassis fans and the Corsair pump wanted the CPU_FAN header, but the Z170-Pro has a dedicated Water Pump header. Not sure if this matters but the H115i threw me a curve ball by not being a lone 4-pin connector and instead a 3-pin with a SATA power connector, the manual is wrong on this. So I plugged the H115i's 3-pin into the W_PUMP header and the Luxe's PWM hub into the CPU_FAN header (it says using any other would limit total voltage and power modulation and fans would run full speed at all times).

On to my problems:

First, upon boot I received a CPU Fan error. In BIOS I could see the RPM of "CPU Fan" and "Water Pump" however, and everything was running cool (and still is 2 days later). I couldn't get pass this error until I turned off monitoring of my CPU fan via setting "CPU Lower Limit" to off/ignore instead of 200 RPM under the Monitor tab.

Watching my chassis fans when booting, the one's connected to the Luxe's PWM hub, I noticed they spin up kind of late. Could the issue here be that the POST is happening before my chassis fans rev up and since its chassis fans via PWM hub and not an actual CPU fan connected to CPU_MAIN it thinks my CPU is in danger?

Second, ASUS' Ai Suite 3, Corsair Link, CPU-Z etc. etc. don't detect that I have any chassis fans at all. I believe this causes problems with features like ASUS' optimization thing where it auto-overclocks and creates profiles for fans.

What I think will help, but it goes against the manuals:

While the PWM Hub for the Luxe would let me use a lot more fans than my motherboard has headers for, to eliminate the problems above, should I just not use the PWM Hub and attach my chassis fans into the headers on motherboard?

If I do the above, that'd free up the CPU_FAN header. Should I then move my H115i's 3-pin connector to the CPU_FAN from the W_PUMP header?

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

That indeed can happen. on my Z97 board I always used to connect my D5 pump in my custom loop into the CPU header as for myself ensuing there was a constant waterflow was the most important part. Moved to X99 and got a similar error to what you described on a 50 / 50 basis and asking around elsewhere, was determined it was down to the impeller in the pump starting later then when the CPU header took a reading. So basically what you are seeing I expect.

I would attach the H115i directly into the CPU Pump and move the fan header to CPU_FAN. Chassis fan 1, 2 and 3 according to the manual seem to be all PWM so you would have no issue as such routing the PWM hub to one of these fan headers and managing them via AI Suit 3 or something.

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

The fan error warning occurs because the default spin speed during POST for the fan attached to the header is below the safety threshold. This can be cured by lowering the threshold to suit the RPM of the attached fan. There is nothing wrong or abnormal about needing to do that.

During POST, the system processes various training routines, the polling for fan settings occurs at a later stage into the POST process, so a slight delay is normal and nothing to be alarmed about.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you both for the helpful responses.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube