add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Alright, I've posted on this topic before...

Growliff1234

46 months ago

I live in a rural area and well, right now I use a mobile hotspot for pc gaming and such. I've been trying to get AT&T to get over here but... They say they can only put a phone line up our driveway. Is DSL and a phone line not the EXACT same line ? I just want unlimited. 2-5 mbps is fine with me.

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

A copper land line is not the only requirement for ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+
A local exchange needs to be present/equipped/maintained within a specified distance depending on service speed expected.

EDIT:
Before someone mentions fiber optic cables to negate the distance requirement, reading material: thewire

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh goodness, our driveway is not 2 km long thank goodness. More like .6 of a mile. I am sorry I don't know the exact difference there but, if they can put a phone line up there, can we not get DSL ?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

?! Why are you talking about your driveway length? Distance listed is to a local exchange. Is there a local exchange built by the local telco at the end of your driveway?
Quote from link already provided, "Unlike cable, broadband connections using ADSL broadband technology is distance-sensitive: the further you are from the exchange..."

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry if this sounds stupid

Do you mean the small grey poles for the phone lines that are on the side of the road ?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you mean the small grey poles for the phone lines that are on the side of the road ?

No
Links to reading materials (highlighted in blue) already provided in the first post.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, no I don't have one near me, really sorry to bother you but, I'm not close to one of those but at the same time, the AT&T company here still have the small boxes for service near me. Why is that ? Again, I apologize for not being well educated here.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Getting telecommunication companies to run new lines and to cover new area is impossible, Unless you are willing to pay for them to run the line which is usually $10,000+

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks but, not really haha. Wow, that sucks...

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, getting them to cover rural areas they aren't in currently is literally next to impossible. Yes they will have to run actual line to your residence but it isn't as expensive as they make it out to be.

Either way, have you looked into satellite internet? I don't know the prices, but it would fit your needs.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Satellite internet is the worst thing you can get. It is faster than dial-up but it goes down probably 4 hours a day. It is very inconsistent and still not much faster than dial-up.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Could I ask which State you live in? There are other options for internet access but their availability really depends on where you happen to live.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Tennessee

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Are any other companies other than AT&T around your area? It looks like all of the major companies are in Tennessee, but I highly doubt they are all in your area.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube