add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GTX 960 4GB vs R9 380 4GB

Chuck38
  • 52 months ago

Hello folks..

I'm currently running an Asus GTX 750 TI 2GB and I've been thinking about upgrading my card, but as it is I don't have a lot of money to put into it. So, anything above the 960 or 380 is to expensive.

From what I've heard, both card are pretty good but so far I haven't found any answers on which one is the better buy. I understand mainly differs from what a person wants to do with the card. What I really want to do is be able to play Tom Clancy's The Division on high to ultra settings. There are some other games I play, but they all work pretty well on my 750 TI so I they would be fine on either cards but which one would be better for The Division, Fall Out 4, or Far Cry 4.

Also, is it really better to get the 4GB model or will the 2GB work just as good? Thanks for any info!

-Chuck

EDIT: BTW, I'm looking at the Gigabyte GTX 960 G1 and the Gigabyte R9 380 G1. I'm a big fan of Gigabyte and I'd like to buy one of their cards. However, I'll consider other companies.

EDIT 2: I forgot mention, my CPU is a FX-6300 and I'm running it on a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 motherboard.

EDIT 3: I ordered the MSI R9 380 4GB

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 3 points

I have the 960 but i gotta say from what I've seen that the 380 beats 960 in most games.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright. Thanks! :)

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank-you! That helped quite a bit!

I'm gonna go with the R9 380. :)

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

From what I've read, the 380 is the obvious choice. I'll do a quick run through.

The 960 can't utilise the 4gb, it can't handle the settings needed to get close to using anywhere near 4gb, if anyone is looking for a 4gb card on a budget, the 960 should be avoided.

For future proofing, whilst the two cards are fairly even now, when dx12 is more present, the 380 will pull away hugely from the 960.

Driver support is also an issue, for example, nvidia fan boys will make all these driver claims, none of which I've ever encountered and I've been using amd a while. Gpu support on the amd side is better too. Nvidia 700 series are considered legacy and are no longer supported, 2 years of drivers they got iirc. Compare that to the amd 5000 series which I believe got 5+ years of support.

The 380 is a better card, will serve you better in the future, and will not need replacing for 1080p gaming any time soon.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to know, cuz that's what I went with! :D

I have the MSI R9 380 4GB.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm going for the gigabyte version, but only to match up the colours to the rest of my build.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

That's why I went with the MSI card, just to match my red color scheme and it's a really nice card also. :)

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

"People who like nvidia cards are just fanboys guys! I'm anecdotal proof that AMD's drivers are ALWAYS PERFECT! AMD for life, right guys? ...right guys?"

Why do AMD people get so insecure? Do you really believe so lightly in the purported benefits of your beloved company's grpahics cards? In reality, AMD fans are the true fanboys: nvidia provides clearly better cards at the mid and top end budgets. Also, I hate when AMD supporters act like heat output and TDP don't matter. They obviously do: you plan the entire computer so that it will give off as little heat as possible and you have to buy a PSU to the right wattage (and higher watt PSUs are more expensive). AMD is clearly defeated in the current gen, and I don't see how they can possibly compete again after the large improvement for price nvidia is offering in pascal. Unless the zen processors actually beat an i7 and are nearly as efficient, AMD is FINISHED.

God I feel better now.

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

spoken like a true green fanboy!

Firstly, to stay on topic, the gtx 960 4gb was a pointless card, yet the green side still fell for it, the 380 4gb is the better card now and will be for a lot longer. There are indeed a lot of nvidia cards that are clearly better than their supposed AMD equivalent, but AMD also have their own good performers, and their price/£ is hugely superior.

The whole heat thing with AMD is a complete myth, I know a lot of people with AMD cards, non of them run hot at any point, this is purely something from the olden days, something nvidia fanboys have clung too, just to secure their own beliefs. If people do, it's more often than not a case of people not knowing or thinking about the airflow in their case. You'll always have to buy the right wattage for a computer, what a silly point to make.

They were indeed defeated for this gen, they made bad judgments and paid the price, since then, however, they've restructured, reinvested, and hired the guy who was responsible for ATI back in the day, when they were on top. The next gen should be interesting, AMD will hopefully get a bigger slice of the market, afterall, the market actually needs them. Your "AMD is finished" brain fart shows a lack of intelligence. The market NEED AMD to be in it, if they fold and are not snapped up, it will be nvidia and Intel left to do what they want, and you can guarantee they'll put their prices up massively, AMD keep them grounded, you should probably think of likely scenarios before making puerile statements, spud.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

If you can hold off for 4-6 weeks you might be amazed to what you will be able to afford. Never discount used like new either.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, I ordered the MSI R9 380 4GB a couple months ago.

This is a three month old thread which someone bumped for some reason.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem sport. How do you like the 380?

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I like it a lot. Works great for what I need it to do. :)

[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube