add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

first time builder, needs advice from pros...

LiteEmUp
  • 51 months ago

nearly got all my parts.. i7+mobo should arrive sometime later today....

anyways also can anyone give me protips as a first time builder, the do's and dont's during: the pre-build phase and post-build phase(i guess what you call first time booting up and installing software and os)???

and if i get this correctly, this should be order that i build the parts:

cpu>cpu cooler> mobo>gpu>ram>case>ssd/hdd

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

Good thing to do is to firstly install all of your parts outside of the case and test to see if it boots okay. If any part arrives DOA it's more of a hassle to determine the cause if you install everything inside the case before testing.

Main advice I would give: Rely heavily on the manuals. During the building process they're your bibles.

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

Here's what I'd do:

1. Test the PSU to see if it's dead. Here are guides: http://www.howtogeek.com/172933/how-can-i-test-my-computers-power-supply/ , http://support.antec.com/support/solutions/articles/1000015319-is-my-power-supply-dead-the-paperclip-test (If it is dead, you should RMA it.)
  2. Install the CPU, CPU cooler and the RAM on the motherboard outside the case and on the motherboard box. You can install the GPU at this point as well to see if it works. Connect all necessary cables from the PSU to the motherboard and the GPU. There may be a button on your motherboard to do a test boot, but you may have to connect the two pins for the power button. Refer to your motherboard manual for more details. (You should be connected to a monitor to see if the system boots up into the BIOS.)
  3. Inspect the case to see if there are pre-existing stand-offs. Most cases have them pre-installed, but sometimes you will have to install them from the toolbox provided with the case.
  4. At this point, you can install the motherboard (without the GPU) into the case. You will need to install the I/O shield before you do so though. Install all the screws, but make sure you install them lightly at first going in a cross pattern, then start to tighten them once all screws are in. Make sure it's not way too tight though.
  5. Unscrew the necessary expansion slots on the case and begin to install your GPU and other PCI-E/expansion slots.
  6. Install your HDD's and SSD's in your case as well as some aftermarket fans if needed.
  7. Connect all your cables. Be sure to use your case cut-outs whenever possible and use zip ties to tidy things up.
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

lol im worried about getting shocked by doing the paperclip test... does it matter which black wire i connect the other part of the paperclip with the psu om getting???

also the tv where im planning to hook up my comp is located in a room that has a carpet lol... only the kitchen area has no carpet, and its where im planning to build the comp.. gonna be a pain in the *** to move it..

hopefully no parts are DOA for me lol... how often does items comes in DOA, especially from someone like newegg or amazon???

only this im waiting for right now is the 8.1 OS.. outletpc shipped it to usps, and usps doesnt seem to deliver it at front door like fedex/ups.. so gotta contact usps, which mailbox they sent it, since i checked our po box and it wasnt there...

i know this sounds dumb, but since i only have a usb-powered keyboard/mouse, would that work when i navigate the bios screen, even without the OS???

also any good step-by-step guide videos out there that are recent??

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

You will not get shocked. Don't worry. Any black wire works. They are all grounds.

Moving a PC is not going to be a pain in the ***. Why would it be?

DOA is completely random.

You can use a USB keyboard and mouse in the BIOS before the OS is installed no problem.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube