add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New Build Rebooting Every 1 second

iWalky
  • 58 months ago

Hello,

I just built this computer last night, got everything installed fine. Flashed BIOS, installed Windows, and installed drivers. Everything was running smooth! I got home from work today, booted up the computer and everything was kosher for about 15 minutes. I was watching a YouTube video when it shut down on me and automatically restarted. When I got back into Windows I used the motherboard software to check temps and everything seemed fine, it then shutdown and rebooted again without warning. Only this time, it kept rebooting after only having power on for less than a second.

I tried removing 1 stick and both sticks of ram, the video card, reconnecting and connecting all the power cables, running only the motherboard and CPU plugged into the power block, all with the same result. I tried running a PSU test with the 24 bit test pin EVGA provided and it runs the fan as its supposed to.

This is my first build so I am not a troubleshooting expert, but is it possible I blew something in the PSU by running too much power to it? The Watts given on this website are below 500 and I bought the 650W PSU to be safe, but maybe with all the fans at 100% and the GPU doing some work on that Youtube video, it cause a power spike and blew something?

Part List: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jpjG4D

Heres a couple YouTube videos showing what happens. https://youtu.be/U1dkD3ZuUs0 https://youtu.be/DYU6I3l8UwA

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like a power issue? I would double check the cpu power plug (4-8pin plug) and also make sure that 24pin plug is fully seated. Otherwise, it may be worth checking the pins on the cpu socket? I have heard someone had simular issues and it ended up being one bent pin - but watching the video it looks more like a power issue

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

the fact it DID work makes me think the psu failed from something that happened like a power surge or something, or you may have a wire that came loose some place. theres a small chance there may be other issues, but start by reconnecting all wires.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the replies! So today I took the computer to work to have some dudes take a look at it and one even brought their 1000W PSU. The same thing was happening. So I took the mobo back on my lunch break and picked up the same model as a replacement. This time, it keeps power, but there is no post or video display at all. After a few reboots it did eventually get to post, while in BIOS it randomly shut down and then would not show video again. Tried both on-board video output and output through the GPU. I plan on returning the mobo and processor after work and am probably going to go with an Asus mobo this time...

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

For anyone who has a similar problem in the future:

took both the processor and motherboard back and got the Asus mobo I was talking about. Computer worked fine with GPU and everything installed for the entire 2 hours I was using it. My conclusion is that the CPU was bad, which may have been causing the motherboard to short-circuit.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube