add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Corsair CX series is now TIER 4

pegotico
  • 56 months ago

Due to more and more units suffering from failing capacitors in the 1 to 2 year range, the CX series has been moved to tier 4. I think this has been a wise move, not that I approve everything in the tier list...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Once again flaws in the list, XTR shouldn't be tier 1 and not all of the GS series should be tier 1 and the Fractal Desgin Integra has Taiwanese capacitors but its tier 3 and I strongly disagree with the MaxBron and CX series being in the same tier, the MaxBron is crap all around where as the CX series are mediocre at best and another flaw is with the FSP Raider, its tier 4 but the 750 watt Evga B1 isn't which is based on the FSP raider.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Once again flaws in the list

yep, there are still many.. but I agree with the cx being tier 4.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

The person who makes the list refuses to fix any flaws that you point out in it.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

he seems to be more open now..

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

indeed he does.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

The CX series has been tier 4 for quite some time now. At least I thought so.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

it used to be tier 3

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think that it's bad enough to be tier 4, but not good enough to be tier 3. It's more like 75% tier 3, and 25% tier 4.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I would like to see the documentation on all those failing capacitors. Seems like more stories that can't be backed up, and more reason the tier list is flawed.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

there are flaws, but this isn't one of them. the cx is a mediocre psu...it wont work over 30c. Did you see the last review from jonnyguru...

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=416

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

You mean this last review...

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=427

If you look at reviews up and down the line the CX750 is an outlier, no the the norm.

Now, can you show any evidence of failing capacitors or not?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

that's funny... thanks for the laugh

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Corsair+CX850M+&N=-1&isNodeId=1

whose gonna buy a crappy psu at that price when you can get the EVGA G2 750 which even being 750 watts will be more capable and efficient, tier 1 (the best), 10 year warranty (the best) and can get it cheaper. I don't see how someone can buy a unit like this.... sorry

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

well, the review clearly said the CX850M isn't a good value and there's no reason to buy one. just like he concluded with the revised RM850. it's not a bad psu in itself. just average, just nothing that stands out as particularly good.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Never claimed that they were not over priced on the higher wattage. However still calling them crappy when you have been show evidence to the contrary and still have not show any evidence of your first claim is dishonest. You simply keep shifting arguments.

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

quoting from a review from newegg

This is the third unit to go bad, I bought 7 of these units for builds and they are not worth it. Corsair makes great memory but stay away from there power supplies.

not all true as the AX, AXi, RMi, HXi are excellent units BUT overpriced, which kills corsair...

The CX is crappy and overpriced. You would think that (Lets imagine its tier 3) a tier 3 unit should be a lot lot lot lot cheaper than a tier 1 like the EVGA G2 750 but its not.... Sorry but I will never recommend the CX series, even the worst EVGA units are better..

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

It's 2015

There are still people who care about tiers

my sides are in orbit

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, because if you ain't first your last

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

lol yep, that about sums up the mentality.

[comment deleted]
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

im pretty sure he doesn't have one in his build.. lol

that was in 2011 and now I read it and its ridiculous... they should erase that review from jonnyguru

despite the fact that this is an entry level, cheap, not intended for enthusiasts platform here; I really can't find a lot to count against this unit. Voltage regulation could have been better, but this is a group design. Of course it could have been better. What do you expect, AX series quality? I don't. And the simple fact of the matter is, this is quite an excellent performing unit for any group design, let alone a cheaper one. And the ripple suppression is good enough to make up for a lot. That said, I'm going to pull a point. Why? Because 30 degree temp ratings are really on the low side for me.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

he uses a csm 550 iirc.

[comment deleted]
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

he gave it a 7.1 which is more reasonable, but a 9 to cx430 in 2011, maybe he was drunk when he did the review... that review should be deleted from the site. lol

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Or, the cx430 is a better PSU then the 750...imagine that.

[comment deleted]
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

even someone close to the company can't make excuses for such clear mediocrity and outright failure under average temps. my HX750i runs 40c in fanless mode in the northeast USA. cx750 can't even give 600 watts in spec at this temperature and shuts down before you can pull 650 watts from it.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube