add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Comments (Continued)

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

Much easier to implement from a programmer's perspective

How so? (I work as a software engineer.)

words are more descriptive than numbers

True.

On the other hand the only way I see this is that the post would look like this:

Person A: funny 1, useful 3, not useful 1
    I love the green theme of the build as it reminds me of poison.

Or if someone aggregates useful and not useful to display only what is more, than we're back to +1 / -1 really, just a text is displayed instead.

Furthermore, this does not help the original issue, that people upvote themselves.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand your point of view Shakaron, I didn't put much time into that comment, then I would say completely remove the unuseful button so that no one can get downvote spammed which is a problem too, Im not too sure though what to think about people upvoting themselves and how to prevent it.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess logging who up/downvoted someone is a good idea, as it "exposes" them so people would probably consider whether they would do such actions.

If person A is always upvoted by person B, then it is a "strange coincidence", and the moderators could look into the logs and see if person A and person B are from the same IP thus, probably the same person. Also, there are other certain signs when an account is a real account or kept for some shady reasons. :)

Of course, this puts more work on the moderators, but knowing who did the vote can help start the right investigation.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

We do what you’re describing and a bit more. It is largely automated - the moderation burden is minimal. Basically we have a dashboard report of things to look into. It’s pretty obvious (to help mans) to distinguish when you’re dealing with a vote abuser versus multiple people sharing a computer or IP address. (Some people think they’re being clever by using VPNs, but IP isn’t the only giveaway.)

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess you can draw up further analytics, like how the login of users is related to each other, what kind of actions users do with their account, etc. It's a nice thing you have there. ;)

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

completely remove the unuseful button so that no one can get downvote spammed

No, please no. One of the things I hate most about Youtube (lot's of things to hate) is the lack of ability to actually downvote comments. If I cast a downvote, I want to see that +5 drop to +4, not just stay +5 like I did nothing.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I get what you mean, but at the same time someone making just a normal will get downvoted for no reason, which i find just as frustrating.

I think it's a double edged sword.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Very seldom do downvoted comments that have merit stay downvoted. I have had -2 comments turn into +5 comments. Double edge sword, indeed. But, I don't want my "voice" taken from me either.

If I have to pick an edge. That's the edge I pick.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I have had -2 comments turn into +5 comments

That doesn't happen for everyone though,

If I have to pick an edge. That's the edge I pick.

I hope that's not the microsoft edge you picked :P

/s

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Then you should know the basic framework is already set up for it.

As for the rest of your comment, that's redundant. The point is that it's a slightly better system than the current one.

And the most important part, from a management perspective, as posted by philips:

What is important is that abuse is easy to detect (it is), and that abuse is minimal (it is).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube