For my A-Level final Design & Technology coursework I was approached by a 'client' (myself) to create a compact bespoke case, designed to allow water-cooling and space efficiency to work together in harmony.
After multiple concept designs, 3D CAD models, prototypes and 'client feedback Q&As', I created "One", a bespoke acrylic case for a mATX motherboard with two 240mm radiators. The parts with the case were already owned by the client (me) so the case was built around my specification. By using 3D CAD Software as a visual prototype for the case design, the hard-line tubing could also be more easily visualised.
The PC was originally built with air cooling in the NZXT H440 back in late 2015. I then upgraded to try out hard-line watercooling! This was done in the Thermaltake Core P5, which looked great - I even wall mounted it! 1 year later and I realised it was not practical to have the massive case for when I move to university. This idea came at the same time as when I needed to create a project for a 'client' in my A-Level final coursework. You will see from the initial sketches I switched at some point from the diamond-edge style panels to the single acrylic outer panel. This was an aesthetics change as well as a change to make the manufacturing the case a bit more simplistic.
Processes on case: - Prototyping (Card size checks & Solidworks CAD) - Laser Cutting - Heat Bending - Band Sawing - Mechanical Hacksawing - Pillar Drilling - Centre Lathing - 3D Printing - Polishing - Sanding This was all possible thanks to my school being fortunate enough to own all the equipment that I was given unlimited access to.
--Total price for case: £35 (incl. all screws & materials etc)--
The build has had some 'bumps' - when cleaning out the perspex GPU waterblock cover I screwed it back on too tight (argh) and it subsequently leaked. EK were great and sent a replacement black cover as that is all that is left in stock for the rx 480. I then rounded off one of the screws holding the broken cover on the block, so had to drill it out and fit a new screw!
Eventually I ended up with a completed build. The case is fully custom and in hindsight I should've considered adding dust filters.
I will add more pics of the complete setup once I have finished my exams this month and tidied it up!