This is my first time building a computer. Black/orange scheme to work with my room and I just like the color orange.
7/31 - Added W10 along with my laptop so everything is synced.
8ish months later:
- CPU: Went with an i7 because I do a bit of video editing and only plan on doing more in the future (plus Microcenter price). No problems. Working fine.
- CPU Cooler: H105 mainly because the LED on it is white and won't harm my color scheme at all. Also I painted the ring around it orange so that matched everything. Can only get it in a push configuration with my case.
- Motherboard: Went with Z97 to stay up to date and pretty much the only orange board out there is the SOC ones by Gigabyte.
- Memory: 16gb because of video editing and multitasking across two monitors.
- Storage: The Crucial MX100 had decent reviews and is a pretty good mid-ranged SSD at a low price so I got it. Currently have 2 in a raid 0 config. 2TB HDD because I kept filling my 1TB drive incredibly fast on my old computer.
- GPU: Went with AMD mainly for price/performance cost. The Tri-X card itself is gold, not orange, so it kinda screwed up my coloring, but I honestly don't even care because it performances amazingly. Reaches 75° under an artificial load while staying extremely silent. I heard the stock R9 290 cards were loud and get extremely hot, but this Sapphire card is quiet and cool.
- Case: NZXT is pretty much the only company with orange cases, and I went with the phantom mainly because it fitted my needs and I liked how it looked. Just a personal choice.
- Power: Probably going to get a bit of hate for picking an 850w for this system. But 850w gives me enough room to crossfire in the future plus at the price I got it at, it was pretty much equal to the price of a 750w at the time.
- Drive: Blu ray drive I pulled out of my old computer which I bought on Newegg a few years ago.
- Orange Cougar Fans: Currently have them on the front of my case. Really quiet!
- Black Cougar Fans: Currently have them on a push config with my H105. I had the stock H105 fans on there when I was over-clocking and they were extremely loud. Put these on there, it's incredibly silent in comparison.
- NZXT Orange LED: The color is indeed orange and not some off-color yellow or red. Silent.
- Keyboard: Didn't really need anything special, but I found a keyboard with an Orange backlight so I went with it. Broke after 2 months. RMA took another 2 months. Way more hassle than it's worth. That's the last time I skim on a keyboard because it looks better. I now got the Logitech G710+ and its amazing.
- Monitors: I already have two 1080p monitors. My ASUS monitor and a ViewSonic one. They both fit my needs and I got the ASUS last year and the Viewsonic a few years ago.
A decent mid sized case. Was able to squeeze my R9 290 Tri-X in with the hard drive cage (had to insert both at the same time though). My H105 also barley fits into the top of the case. A lot of my larger components are a big of a squeeze but everything fits and I still got room. I wish there was a bit more room in the back for cable management. Also the front bay cover needs a significant amount of pressure to open and close it. If it's not opening/closing, press hard! Also I dislike how bright the hard drive activity light is so I just left that unpluged. None the less, I'm still really happy with this case.
This has been a great keyboard for me. I'm not much of a person to need backlight but it's nice to have. The keys feel great and it's a joy to type on. The programmable keys are also amazing and life changing. I'll forever need those programmable keys now.
Had to RMA this keyboard after 2 months (multiple keys stopping working). Company does not pay for RMA shipping (shipping is like 1/2 the cost of the actual keyboard), and the next keyboard they sent me, W key broke like a week after I got it. Decided just to give up and buy a costly keyboard. Would never recommend.