This has been my first build in quite some time. The last PC that I built was a AMD Athlon XP, and boy, it's been quite a change. I'll say that the most intimidating part of the build was placing the processor in its socket. I rather have a CPU with pins than the other way around.
The only minor inconvenience that I had with this build was with my motherboard. Had to send it back to Amazon for a refund because they didn't have in stock. One of the fan headers was damaged and the fan connected to it would only run at a fixed speed of about 700 RPM. I got the new mobo from Microcenter. No problems from there.
Some notes about the case:
It is not so hard to work as some people seem to think.
Also, it seems that they revised the power supply cage and removed the two SSD mounts that were available there against the HDD removable cages (check out Linus review). I installed my SSD right below the HDD cages so that I had two spaces for 3.5" HDD.
The Fans on top are feeding air inside the case, same thing for the frontal fan. All the air is then blown via the radiator or the GPU card.
UPDATE: The SSD mounts are there, they just revised the solid piece to add a hole to better route the wiring if you are not using them.
On the GPU Card: This card is a OEM reference GPU that BestBuy sells. The quality is superb, after all it is build by nVidia and comes with some pretty cool stickers and some free games. Sadly, I already had the games.
It's been a good experience so far. I know that my display is crappy, but is going to have make do for now. LOL, I know that I am going to get some heat about Windows 8, but it was a free licence!!
Update #1 (June 2014):
The plastic front is too restrictive, I changed it for the black mesh with the silver trim. I painted the silver trim using the Liquidtex Vivid Lime Green spray. The results are amazing, the pain matches the case color very closely. I also painted the Corsair fans rims, the hard drive bay top and the hard drive caddys.
I also changed the previous Cooler Master Seidon 120M cpu cooler for a H100i. Also, replaced the fans on the H100i with SP120's. The radiator have the Bitfenix Spectre Pro's on top, and the SP120's after the radiator. All fans are being controlled by the motherboard.
Also added some illumination using the Bitfenix Alchemy LED strips. Two on the bottom at the PSU cage and HDD cage. One on top on the left and another on top on the right of the case.
I am really happy with the result of using the front mesh, instead of the solid plastic front. Also, it matches the same style of the top vents.
Let me know what you guys think!
Thanks to all the PCPartPicker community and to /r/buildapc for all the support!
Update #2 (July 2014):
Sold the 4770k and replaced it with a 4790k. Motherboard compatibility was good. No issues so far, system has been running since Friday non-stop.
In the case of the Maximus Impact VI, you need to update the BIOS with the Windows update tool included in BIOS package
1504 (1504 BIOS Download Link) (The one marked as Beta Version). If you update using the BIOS EZ Update software, it will not recognize the processor. Then you can update to the latest BIOS, as of now, the 1505).
UPDATE: Go to Asus website and use the latest updater that has the processor update tool.
Remember, you need to update your BIOS before installing the new processor. If you don't update, you will get a CPU_FAIL error.
Update #3 (August 2014)
I sleeved the power supply cables. I used paracord that I bought from Hobby Lobby.
It was a pretty painstaking process but at the end I got the results that I wanted. I didn't have to use heatshrink for the connectors. When melting the paracord (if done correctly) it will fuse with the connector pin and with the wire insulation, ensuring a good tension on the paracord. Measuring correctly is paramount! I ended up wasting at good chunk at the beginning. However, it was so cheap that it didn't matter.
I used the short wire set that I bought for the power supply and separated each of the cables that needed to be sleeved. I didn't do the SATA cables because they will be out of sight.
The method that I used for extracting the pins from the connectors was to use two staples together for each side.
UPDATE: Get a pin extractor. It is a ***** to do the staples trick.
Let me know what you think!
Update #4 (May, 2016)
Somewhere along the way I reverted the cooler back to the Seidon. I prefer all the air exhausting through the back of the enclosure and through the graphics card and having fresh air from all other intakes. I am using only one of the SP120's for the exhaust (no push-pull). System still running like a champ, will upgrade to a GTX 1080, and a couple of 1 TB SSD's soon. Also added cable combs, did some cable management and added a Corsair Dominators (16 Gb) kit.
Regarding the part picker, the part list has been updated, alongside pictures. I removed some parts that are not important/fully related to the build to get a clearer picture on the price of the actual build.
Shout out to the guys at UPC for the cable combs and the pin extractor tool.